Wednesday, August 12, 2015

The sheriff and his successful step of faith

Today, I am happy. I have been blessed to have a roof over my head, even if it is temporary. Today, I have food. Today, I have my dogs beside me. Today, I feel as if I have purpose and that I can share. Today, I am able to recognize the friends that encourage me and believe in my abilities. They are with me every step of the way. One step at a time, one moment at a time, one day at a time until I am able to be with all of them in celebration of finally crossing the finish line.

I have been asking many people about their life stories. I enjoy listening to other people's stories because theirs make me accept mine. I was pulled over by a sheriff in Libby, Montana; I was doing 37 in a 25. I grabbed my wallet and realized that my drivers license had expired. I knew this could lead to a lot of trouble and a hefty fine. I handed all of my information over to the sheriff and admitted that the license had expired and was waiting for my birth certificate to arrive from California. The sheriff must have seen my panicked face because he smiled at me and assured me that he had pulled me over for two reasons, the first reason was because I was speeding and the second reason was because he had never stopped anyone with a Nebraska plate before. He also advised that he was only giving me a warning. I began to relax and was very grateful.

I am a talker, many who know me personally will admit that I am inquisitive and I talk, a lot. The officer asked me how I ended up in Libby and I told him my story and how I had taken a step of faith and that I am currently having to overcome an obstacle. The sheriff, smiled and began to tell me that he was not from Libby. He had been a successful baker in Washington state. He was accustomed to earning a good salary and was a union member. He said that he had vacationed in Libby, Montana with his family. He liked Libby, believing it was the kind of town a person could easily settle down in and raise a family. When he returned from the vacation to Washington he felt different. His life wasn't as full as he had thought. His job did not feel satisfying and day by day the desire to work was becoming more of a chore than something he wanted. He decided to take a step of faith. He quit his successful job as a baker. He moved from the city and all of its promises of money and comfort.  He moved to Libby, Montana. A town in which he knew no one. A town that had very few job opportunities.

Crazy, right?

The important question that I needed to ask the sheriff was whether or not during his step of faith he had faced any enormous obstacles. He laughed and said that there were several moments in which he felt he had made a mistake. He watched as his money was slowly becoming less and less and the idea of packing up and returning to the life he knew seemed the easiest road to take. He had a family to think about and times had become severely hard. I asked him what kept him standing firm in his faith and he said it was because he did not know how close he was to the finish line. He also said that giving up on faith meant no longer believing. He never gave up his belief that things would get better. I asked him how he became a sheriff and he told me that, ever since he was a young boy, he had always wanted a job in law enforcement. One day, a position opened and he applied. He said, in the end, taking that step of faith was the best thing he could have ever done because he is working the career he has always wanted. He and his family are starting over in Libby and have learned the true meaning of community. He said when they were down it was the community that helped and never allowed him to give up on faith.

Faith is not the easy road taken, it is full of enormous obstacles which will test your strength in what you believe. I share these stories with you because they are beautiful and express courage. I know many people who have taken steps of faith. Some have not reached the finish line and are still walking one step at a time, one day at a time. Some have reached the finish line and are able to encourage and support those who may feel like giving up.

I wish to thank each of you for following along with me on this leg of my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment